AFRICA: LIBYA: ARCHBISHOP CONFIDENT OF PEACE- RECONCILIATION

Agenzia Fides REPORT - "The feeling that I had already expressed, for more relaxation and peace is strengthened in light of the fact that from what I have been told, the road links between Tripoli and Tunisia have become easier", says His Exc. Mgr. Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli to Fides, Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli, who is in Italy for medical treatment, but is constantly in contact with Libya. "A priest, my collaborator, along with two nuns, told me yesterday from Tunis that he should return to Tripoli today, because the road is considered more secure", said Mgr. Martinelli.
"I think the celebrations for the end of Ramadan pushes all Libyans to live in peace and reconciliation. I hope this feeling is not superficial, because, from what I read and hear, in some parts of Libya fighting continues, and the hunt to catch Gaddafi is open" says the Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli. "But, I repeat, there seems to be among the Libyans a desire for reconciliation. A few days ago I received a call by two Libyan friends who said they were happy", said Mgr.Martinelli.
The difficulties, however, are not lacking in Tripoli, such as the lack of running tap water. "The water of the urban network has been poisoned. I do not know who committed such an act, perhaps a reaction against the rebels, as if to say 'these come and find poisoned water'. The solution to the problem has been solved, because the inhabitants of Tripoli do not get water from the taps, but from other sources, or have found a way to filter the water", says Mgr. Martinelli. "I am ending my medical treatment and I hope to return to Tripoli soon, among my people" says the Apostolic Vicar. (L.M.)

Comments